Uploading Documents and Images
Supported File Types
The IMAG Wiki currently supports uploading the following file types:
- Images: 'png', 'gif', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'ogg','bmp', 'pdf
- Word Processor: 'doc'
- Spreadsheet: 'xls'
- Presentation: 'ppt'
- Other: 'zip'
The maximum file size accepted by the wiki is currently set to 164 Megabytes. If you encounter difficulties uploading a file or need a larger file to be placed on the wiki please contact the wiki administrator at: email@example.com.
How to Upload a Document or Image
When uploading a file within the wiki two steps need to be taken: First, the file must be uploaded. Second a link should be provided to the file from a wiki page.
To upload a file, click on the Upload File link in the toolbox, located in the left hand column of this screen. Please read the instructions on this page carefully.
- Under the Source File section click on the "Choose File" button and find the file in your folders
- Name the file
- press the Upload File button and wait for it to complete
- Note that if the filename has special characters (such as spaces), these will be replaced automatically by other characters (such as _) automatically by mediawiki.
- Please do not upload any documents that cannot be shared with the public(e.g. pdf files from journals).
Naming Files within the Wiki
Great care should be taken when naming a file within the IMAG Wiki. Names must be chosen such that they are unique to the particular file and will not be duplicated.
- Example: Naming of an Abstract for Katie Serrano's poster presented at the 2007 MSM PI Meeting
- Best: 2007 MSM PI Abstract_Serranok.doc
- Unclear: Serranok.doc
Linking Uploaded File to a Wiki Page
After successfully uploading a document, a link can be added to connect it to a specific wiki page.
To do so, go to the wiki page you would like to link to your document. Under the "edit" tab add the following text:
Here is Katie's 2007 MSM PI Poster Abstract: [[Media:2007 MSM PI Abstract_Serranok.doc]]
which will result in:
Here is Katie's 2007 MSM PI Poster Abstract: Media:2007 MSM PI Abstract_Serranok.doc